Tuesday, December 06, 2005

My Husband is Lucky He Still Can Produce Children

The other night Rachel woke up at 12:45 a.m. and I couldn't get her back to sleep for anything. The poor little one takes 2 hours to get to sleep at night. She usually sleeps 6 hours before she needs to be fed, but not that night. No way, no how. In a mere 4 hours she was up and wired. So, I was in her room trying to get her to sleep. She would fall asleep, and I'd think I was home free, then she would start crying and it was all over again. I closed our bedroom door and Rachel's bedroom door in hopes that it would not wake Bryan who had to work that day. Of course I realized that this was a mere pipe dream because my child is bound to be an opera singer with those lungs, and two small wooden doors would be like putting a piece of paper next to the sun to block it out.

So, the screaming went on and on. At about 2 a.m. the house was quiet except for the whails of a 4 month old. I was in her room which is lit only by a 2 watt night light. I was standing over the crib which faces the wall with her in my arms. It was cold that night. Well, cold for Houston, about 55 degrees, so I had on my big red fuzzy bathrobe.

Bryan couldn't sleep, apparently. Rightly so, as I mentioned the opera singer thing. So, what does he decide to do? He decides to come in there with me. Which is all fine and dandy, except he thinks he needs to be quiet and not talk as to not desturb what I am trying to do with this child. So, he comes up behind me when I am stading by the crib facing the wall and taps me on the shoulder. In my big red fuzzy bathrobe I thought I felt a tap, but deep down thought I was just imagining things because the tap was so light. I turned around and there was Bryan behind me. Except at 2 a.m. in my big red fuzzy bathrobe in a 2 watt bulb lit room with a 4 month old screaming at me I didn't realize it was my loving husband.

I screamed. Actually it was more of an "ah..ah..ahhhh...ahhhh...AHHHH!" He is lucky I had a child in my arms because instinctually I think I would have kicked his man parts. I swear I've never been so scared in all my life. Not even on that roller coaster at Six Flags.

As I was screaming he said "Sorry! Sorry! I'm Sorry!!" I finally realized it was him before any permanent harm was done to anyone. He apologized for about 5 minutes and I kept saying "It's OK" in a wifey "It's not OK" sort of way. Yea, he'll hear about this later when he thinks I've forgiven him.

No comments: