Tuesday, July 24, 2007

With all that can happen, it's really amazing any of us are here.

A friend once said that. She probably doesn't even remember saying it, but it's a true statement. If you think about all the things that have to happen at the beginning, during, and end of a pregnancy it is quite amazing. God really thought that procedure through before he made it.


My unborn kidlet is breech. Frank breech. Which basically means his butt is at the bottom, head at the top, and his legs are straight and tucked up by his face. With just over 4 weeks to go that isn't good. At this point only 4% of babies are in the breech position. Crap.


What's bad about the frank breech position is that it's even harder for him to move. The doctor described it like trying to turn a bobby pin instead of a marble. Round is better.

I have to do exercises to try to get him to move. I go back in Monday, July 30th for another check. If he hasn't moved by Monday the doctor will give me 2 options.
1) keep doing the exercises and if he doesn't move by August 15th then schedule a c-section, or
2) come back Tuesday to do what they call a external cephalic version (ECV). It's done by the doctor applying pressure to the abdomen and manually manipulating the baby into a head-down position.

Unfortunately, the ECV only works about 50% of the time, and it isn't without risks, there's a chance the placenta could separate or a drop in the baby's heart rate, so they monitor the baby the whole time. The risks, I'm told, are rare, though. But I've also been told this procedure is quite painful. Oh boy.

To make matters worse, my doctor is going on vacation Wednesday next week (Aug 1-14th), so if I had complications from the ECV that night or the next day he won't be around. Darn doctors and their lives. How dare he have a family. lol.

Well, all I can do is pray he moves between now and Monday.

4 comments:

Jim said...

Of course if he moves that is wonderful. If not, then the C-section?
Of course I just found out about it, said a LITTLE prayer, and now will pray a whole lot!
Then I'll keep checking on you.

I don't believe in 'guided' luck, but I do do wishes. So I am wishing he moves to where he should be in time for a normal birth.
..

MilkMaid said...

Giddy up little one! ((Carol))

Adrienne said...

Keep us posted and I pray for the best!

angela marie said...

I am constantly amazed by our formation. Now taking anatomy again and really studying it, I cannot believe all the little things that conspire to keep us breathing...and going from 2 cells to a human? Freaking amazing.

Sorry about the breech, really. But I KNOW that once you are holding that little peanut, you will be glad you gave birth in any form just to cuddle him. :)

(I say go c-section.)