Wednesday, February 02, 2005

S.A.D. Day

I don't like Valentines Day. I know, I'm a girl. I'm supposed to like it. I'm supposed to get all giddy when my husband brings me flowers and candy. Maybe if I hadn't married the best guy in the world (sorry, girls, he's taken) who brings me flowers once or twice a year for the heck of it I would feel differently. But I think when he gets me the little somethings on no occassion it means a heck of a lot more than the obligatory Valentine.

But, in all honesty, I don't like Valentines Day because I have to reciprocate. What the hell do you get a guy for Valentines day? After 12 years of marriage and several years of dating before that the conversation heart boxers and chocolate that says "I heart you" gets old. He ACTS like he likes it. But then I find the boxers at the back of his underwear drawer by March1st.

And, I think we discriminate on Valentines Day. Discriminate against single people. My sister has had more than her share of bad relationships. She calls Valentines day "S.A.D. day". Single Awareness Day. I feel bad for her on Valentines Day. Although she usually makes a game of it. She'll go home from work, put on her plaid flannels, put her hair in a ponytail, light smelly candles, make a margarita, and watch a movie. Actually, that sounds pretty good to me. Maybe just for support, of course, I'll celebrate S.A.D. day, too.

Question of the day....How do you feel about Valentines Day??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol. I followed a link from either Angie or Deb's blog and as the story goes - I became addicted to your blog! LOL

I myself like valentine's day. But, I'm a hopeless romantic or is that hopeless SAP? LOL We don't get into all the commercial stuff of valentine's - like the roses that go up to $80 or the packed restaurants, but I do like to make it a special day. I can always think of something for my hubby. Last year it was the Band of Brothers box set. Maybe not much to me or you - but he loved it! I usually make us a special dinner, we bring out the china or pink antique dishes, stuff like that. Milkmaid had a great idea for a valentine treat so I may try that (time permitting) or I will order one of those small heart cakes or a heart shaped cookie. I've been none to stop by hubby's place of work and tie a balloon to the truck!

But, I'm with you - we should (and we do try to) do these things year round. I never get flowers for V'day anymore. I told my husband DO NOT pay that ridiculous amount! But, like your hubby, he will surprise me with flowers for no reason at all - which does make it more special.

Anyway, now that i've written a book - nicetomeetcha and great blog you've got!

Tina

Adrienne said...

Last year was the first time I bought anything for my hubby for Valentines Day. I have to agree that it's nicer if we get things out of the blue rather than that forced feeling of HAVING to get something.