Monday, February 21, 2005

This baby is sucking my brain cells.

It started a few weeks ago. I was working with a customer. I JUST had the pen in my hand. I went to write something else down, and I couldn't find it. I looked under my chair. I looked on the desk, under papers, in crevaces. Nothing. And the customer didn't do anything to help. He didn't offer me one of HIS pens to use. He just sat and watched me scramble. Finally I just decided I would remember what he was telling me. Why I thought THAT was a good idea was beyond me. I couldn't even remember what I did with the pen I had in my hand 5 seconds before that. That night I got undressed and discovered the pen was in my POCKET.

Then I made a copy of my birth certificate for something my mom needed. I couldn't find what I did with it or the original. And I keep losing my keys. And I forget to take my pills. I'll go to bed thinking of 7 things I need to do the next day and only remember 4 when I wake up. And my husband says I repeat myself. Oh, and my husband says I repeat myself.

I am afraid by the time I have the baby I will be so brain dead I will be drooling and bubbling. Or, worse yet, I will have the brain of Jessica Simpson.

Question: Is there an item you tend to lose all the time?

7 comments:

elle said...

Yes, my mind, have you seen it?

gal artist said...

I was going to say my mind, but elle beat me to it.

Maybe our minds are out partying together.

LK said...

Hey you guys, if you keep losing your minds, have you looked behind the fridge? When I lose something it's nearly always there.

I was also going to say my mind but I'll settle for keys instead. I am terrible with them at the moment and the special key basket I employed to fix the problem doesn't work because I generally lose them en route to the key basket.

BTW, what you are experiencing is perfectly normal, it is called the pregnancy dumb and dumber effect and basically your memory goes and your logic takes a short holiday at the same time. Very frustrating but it does come back, really.

Now, where are my keys? ...

Happy and Blue 2 said...

I think your baby is sucking away your intelligence. When it's born you will be a vegetable and it will be like Einstein.
I seldm frget anythng...

Tuesy said...

I tend to loose everything...seems that I have to sit down to remember what I was looking for...and then immediately I get up cause I remember...I think it's the chair I sit in. ..or having 4 kids that interupt my train of thought that causes me to forget in the first place.

I totally agree with llCoffee. I have 4 kids and with each pregnancy the forgetfulness got worse. It's like those 9 months are just "there"...I can remember being pregnant, but other than that, don't ask...cause I can't remember a dang thing...it'll get better once you have your baby..I promise...

Meagan said...

Just found your blog, and have enjoyed reading it. Thought I'd chime in on the pregnancy brain drain you are experiencing.

I gave birth in December to a little boy. (At least, I think I remember doing that...) The forgetfulness doesn't stop after the babe is born.

I'm starting to wish they made pagers for things other than phones. I constantly lose the remote, my coffee mug, my keys, my train of thought...the list goes on.

I keep pads of paper around to write thoughts and tasks down. It works wonders, but it's a little hard to keep track of which pad has which information. Thankfully, as others here have said, this constant forgetfulness seems to be wearing off.

Congratulations on your baby, and good luck with what a friend of mine has dubbed "placenta dementia."

Ian said...

You could never reach Jessica Simpson's level. There's an entity called a "persistent vegetative state" in which a person has no brain activity, yet still has intact brain stem reflexes and thus cannot be pronounced dead. One can live for years in such a state. In Jessica's case, one can even have a successful music career in such a state.